Inspectors from the Ministry of Finance visited the Bucharest City Hall on Monday to continue the investigation stopped in the first part of the year due to the coronavirus crisis and the pandemic, the Minister of Public Finance, Florin Cîţu, announced on Tuesday.
“Yesterday the inspectors from the Ministry of Finance went to the Bucharest City Hall to continue this investigation because when we stopped, in the first part of the year, due to the coronavirus crisis and the pandemic, the Bucharest City Hall did not have the situation of the concluded contracts regarding the ongoing investments. We received this situation of ongoing investments in July and now of course we are continuing the investigation. This is about 110 investment and procurement contracts, of which 50 are made with companies set up by the Bucharest City Hall. You know very well that even there all companies are under the investigation of the MFP. I will keep you informed of what is happening, but I repeat, the first report has already been sent to DNA, we will see the results of these reports further,” said Florin Cîţu, according to Agerpres.
He also mentioned the reasons behind the control at the Bucharest City Hall, emphasizing that the funds allocated to the subsidy for the payment of thermal energy and other funds were diverted to other destinations.
He said that last year Bucharest City Hall took the money from the budget subsidy for thermal energy and transportation and used it for “something else” and then persuaded the previous government to issue an emergency ordinance to borrow and to increase public debt.